Alvão Nature Park (7,220 ha) is essentially a granitic area with some spots of shale, and also countless rocky outcrops. Out of the, very deep, water lines we highlight the Olo river, associated to Fisgas do Ermelo waterfalls.
A varied arboreal covering with oak woods on the more elevated areas. Leafy mixed woods alternate with exotic plantations. Presence of birch in the proximity of the water line.
Agricultural areas - rye, corn and potato fields, marshes where the Marão cattle is raised and common lands where the goats are left to graze - and a area of shrub woodlands.
Rare plants, such as the King Sundew, a carnivorous species that grows in flooded terrain and water course margins, enrich the local flora.
Typical fauna from the mountains interior north, highlighting the presence of the Iberian Wolf and an interesting variety of amphibians and reptiles.
Rural architecture and population - Lamas de Olo, Ermelo, Barreiro - which are characteristic in the Trás-os-Montes Region.
Instituto da Conservação da Natureza e das Florestas, I.P. (ICNF, I.P.)
Mondim de Basto
Identification and Access
Access coming from:
- Vila Real by the EM 313 headed to Lamas de Olo, going through Relva, entry through the Alvão NP;
- Mondim de Basto by the N 304 headed to Ermelo.
Enjoy the evolution of the seasons that transform the Alvão landscape. Make sure you visit Fisgas do Ermelo: the vastness of the rocky amphitheatre, the waterfall and the dizzying heights in the platform from where everything can be observed will stay forever in your memory.
To observe the fauna leave early in the morning or a bit before dusk. Bring binoculars and a camera, if you have them. Always pay attention to the weather forecast and avoid performing activities in days of rain, thunderstorm or fog. Avoid going to the mountain by yourself, but, if you do, inform an acquaintance or a local entity of your departure and return. Use simple and comfortable clothes. Make outerwear, food, water, sunscreen and/or a raincoat available. You can also take a cellphone and a lantern (don't start a fire or dispose of cigarette butts incorrectly). Take special precautions when you walk through wet and rocky areas to avoid falling and do not act in a way that might endanger yourself or others. Take note that, in some places, mines are present, therefore you should not leave the existing paths and trails. In case of an accident contact the emergency service 112.
Supports in place
The Park has directional and informative signage throughout all of its area.
Activities and field trips only by previous booking.
Statutes of Conservation
PTCON0003 Alvão / Marão
Mount Farinha (947 m) or Mount of Nossa Senhora da Graça dominates Mondim de Basto. At the top - Alto da Senhora da Graça - is the shrine of the same name, going up there by a road with gradients up to 12% and that was part of the Tour of Portugal in Bicycle. (Learn More).
Mateus Palace (Vila Real), classified as a National Monument is the headquarters of the House of Mateus Foundation. It is a baroque palace known for the splendor of its decoration, built in the first half of the eighteenth century by António Josó Botelho Mourão, 3rd Morgado de Mateus. Arquitect: probably Nicolau Nasoni.
Santuário Rupestre de Panóias(National Monument): the construction of this sacred precinct, located in Vale de Nogueiras, Vila Real municipality, dates from the end of the second century / beginning of the third century.
What you can do
1. Pay attention to floristic diversity and color of the natural meadows (lameiros).
2. If you like concerts, enjoy the odd 'chorus' of frogs in the breeding season.
3. Watch the sowing activities and the local cattle (maronesas cows and goats).
1. Enjoy the sound of the river Olo waters and the shade of oaks and birches.
2. Watch the hay harvesting in lameiros and filling of the haystacks. Join in the celebrations of Ermelo and St. Bartholomew, in Bilhó with Concurso Pecuário do Maronês (Maronês - local breed of Alvão - Livestock Contest) on August 24st.
1. On the footpaths, you can enjoy the autumnal colors of the vegetation, harvesting corn and its storage in canastros. It is perhaps the most propitious time to landscape observation.
1. When Nature rest, visit the old churches, chapels and manor houses, buildings requesting a visit. Discover Vila Real de Trás-os-Montes.
Best Season: All year long